Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Make Ahead Whole Wheat Pancake Mix


I have been trying to feed my family in a healthier way. I have been adding more whole grains, fiber rich foods, fruit, and vegetables to our diet. I have also been slowly eliminating any processed or bleached foods, including white breads, pastas, rice, etc. and changing them out for healthier alternatives such as whole wheat breads, rices, and pastas. But buying these healthy foods can sometimes be costly and how do you do this without breaking the bank? ......Make your own!

I came to this conclusion after buying a box of buckwheat pancake mix. You know, the ready made mix? Well, one box is only going to cover about 2 breakfasts worth of pancakes for my family of 5, soon to be 6 :)

I also, wanted to start stocking my pantry at the same time, so what better way than to make my own "make ahead" whole wheat pancake mix? I'm saving money and time and also giving my family a healthy breakfast. Americans do not eat enough fiber. This can cause many health issues and this is one easy way to incorporate fiber into your diet.

Enough said, here's what I did.


Make Ahead Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
(adapted from Cooks.com)

10 c. 100% Whole Wheat Flour (I used King Arthur Flour)
2-1/2 c Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk
1/2 c. Sugar
1/4 c. Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Salt (I used sea salt)

Put all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix together really well.


Next you will need to put your mix in a large air tight container. Label it and store it in a cool dry place. I used a nice large clear container with a white lid that I had purchased at Walmart, to store my mix in. I also, printed a label with the instructions for making the pancakes/waffles on an Avery shipping label and placed it on the front of the container.

This mix will keep for 6-8 months. I doubt it will last that long in my house. We LOVE pancakes! This recipe makes about 13 cups worth of pancake/waffle mix. Yep! I said waffle mix! :)

TO MAKE THE PANCAKES OR WAFFLES:

2 c. Homemade Pancake Mix
1 c. Water
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Oil (3 Tbsp for waffles) or you can use coconut oil for a healthier alternative ;)

Beat smooth with a wire whisk or fork. This makes about 8- four inch pancakes or 4 large waffles.


Let me know if you have any "make ahead" recipes! I would love to know!

No comments: