Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade Peppermint Infused Vinegar for Household Cleaning

I have been slowly using up all of my store bought household cleaners, so I can start replacing them with homemade cleaners I have been making. So, far I have made the switch to homemade laundry soap, dishwasher soap, window cleaner, and liquid dish soap. ( All of which I will be posting the recipes to!) Tonight, I just finished making an all-purpose household cleaner that was super easy to make and isn't ....should I say....stinky??

I usually use just plain vinegar and water to clean with, but I have been hearing the children complain (especially my 9 year old daughter) about the "stinky" smell of the vinegar. Even if the smell does dissipate after it dries, that doesn't stop the peanut gallery from voicing their opinion about the vinegar smell.

So, what did I do? I infused my vinegar with peppermint herbal tea! Yep, you read this correctly and I kid you not when I tell you that the scent of peppermint is actually masking the smell of the vinegar! Even better is that peppermint is a natural disinfectant!! Can I tell you how excited I am?? :D

Ok....this is how I did it.

First, you will need some kind of jar to steep the tea and vinegar in. I just used an extra 16oz mason jar I had in the house. Next, stick about 6-8 peppermint herbal tea bags in the jar or container of your choice. Then, pour in the distilled vinegar. Let it steep for about 2-3 days, then voila! You have peppermint infused vinegar that's ready to be added to your homemade all-purpose cleaner! This is so easy to make and crazy cheap! Stay tuned for the recipe to my homemade all-purpose house hold cleaner...coming soon!

No comments: